Connect with us

News

Super Eagles to face Jordan in friendly, await FIFA World Cup ruling

Published

on

Super Eagles to face Jordan in friendly, await FIFA World Cup ruling

Nigeria’s Super Eagles are set to take on Jordan in an international friendly in Amman during the March 23–31 FIFA window.

According to a report by Reporters on Monday, the match will mark the first-ever senior meeting between the two nations and forms part of Jordan’s preparation for their debut World Cup appearance.

 

Nigerian Supper Eagles

Nigerian Supper Eagles

 

Nicknamed “The Chivalrous Ones,” Jordan has been drawn into a challenging World Cup group alongside defending champions Argentina, Algeria, and Austria.

Reports also indicate that Iran is exploring a March fixture against the three-time African champions, while a potential June clash with Portugal is under consideration.

However, Nigeria’s participation in the game will depend on FIFA’s upcoming ruling on the country’s eligibility protest against the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo).
Correspondents reports that FIFA is scheduled to review Nigeria’s petition on Monday (today), which alleges that DR Congo fielded six ineligible players during last year’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs.

Nigeria lost on penalties to DR Congo in Morocco, marking the second consecutive time the West African country will not qualify for the World Cup.

Nigerian Super Eagles

Nigerian Super Eagles

The outcome of the FIFA meeting could potentially reinstate the Super Eagles into the intercontinental play-offs in Mexico later this month, where one of the last World Cup tickets will be decided.

With both Nigeria and DR Congo reportedly prepared to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if dissatisfied, world football’s governing body is said to be treating the file with exceptional caution to avoid reputational damage.

However, Nigeria’s participation in the game will depend on FIFA’s upcoming ruling on the country’s eligibility protest against the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo).

PUNCH Online reports that FIFA is scheduled to review Nigeria’s petition on Monday (today), which alleges that DR Congo fielded six ineligible players during last year’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs.

Nigeria lost on penalties to DR Congo in Morocco, marking the second consecutive time the West African country will not qualify for the World Cup.

The outcome of the FIFA meeting could potentially reinstate the Super Eagles into the intercontinental play-offs in Mexico later this month, where one of the last World Cup tickets will be decided.

With both Nigeria and DR Congo reportedly prepared to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if dissatisfied, world football’s governing body is said to be treating the file with exceptional caution to avoid reputational damage.

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News AppDownload now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Punch ePaper cover
Punch ePaper cover
Punch ePaper cover
Punch ePaper cover

Read PUNCH Anywhere

Unlock the full print replica on any device – every page, every day. Subscribe now for instant e-edition access.

Subscribe

Follow Punch on Whatsapp

Latest News

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2026 CAMAA MEDIA