Connect with us

News

Nigerian Man Begs FG for Repatriation after ‘Tricked’ into Fighting for Russia

Published

on

Nigerian Man Begs FG for Repatriation after ‘Tricked’ into Fighting for Russia

A Nigerian national, Abubakar Adamu, has appealed to the Federal Government for urgent assistance to secure his return from Russia.

Adamu alleged that he was deceived into joining the Russian military after travelling to the country for what he believed was a civilian security job.

Abubakar Adamu

Abubakar Adamu

 

According to a report by Zagazola Makama, Adamu’s legal representatives have formally notified Nigerian authorities about his situation, describing how he was allegedly misled and coerced into military service.

The lawyers said Adamu travelled to Moscow on a tourist visa issued on October 16, 2025, by the Russian Embassy in Abuja, after being promised employment as a sentry.

 

federal Government

federal Government

 

However, upon arrival, his travel documents were reportedly seized, and he was compelled to sign enlistment papers written entirely in Russian, without the aid of an interpreter.

He later realised, according to his legal team, that he had been enlisted into the Russian army.

Adamu is said to be currently stranded in a Russian military camp after reportedly refusing deployment to combat zones in Ukraine.

The development comes amid growing reports of foreign nationals allegedly being lured to Russia with promises of civilian jobs, only to be drafted into the military.

On Thursday, the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine disclosed that the bodies of two Nigerians were recovered in the Luhansk region, allegedly while fighting on the Russian side of the conflict.

The deceased were identified as Hamzat Kazeem Kolawole, 42, and Mbah Stephen Udoka, 38, who reportedly died in November 2025, months after joining the Russian army.

A recent investigation also pointed to claims that Africans from countries including Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and Uganda were recruited to Russia under the pretext of employment as drivers or security guards, but were later forced into military service with minimal training before being sent to the frontlines.

Reacting to such reports earlier in the week, Andrey Podyelyshev, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, denied any state-backed recruitment scheme and distanced the Kremlin from the allegations.

Adamu’s lawyers have urged Nigerian authorities to intervene swiftly to secure his safe return, citing concerns for his safety and wellbeing.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2026 CAMAA MEDIA